Marketplace Physical Therapy Riverside Specializes in Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
Over the last 10 years, Marketplace Physical Therapy Riverside has successfully treated several hundred Multiple Sclerosis (MS) patients. During that time Pharmaceutical Companies have come up with some amazing treatments. Also, our Doctors of Physical Therapy have created some breakthrough programs to treat MS.
What is Multiple Sclerosis?
MS is an autoimmune disease that affects the brain and spinal cord. Autoimmune simply means that the body does not know what is happening with its own cells and actually fights against itself. MS is caused by damage to the Myelin Sheath surrounding nerve cells. When nerve cells are damaged, nerve impulses slow down or stop. The nerve damage is caused by inflammation. Inflammation occurs when the body’s own immune cells attack the nervous system. Repeated episodes of inflammation can occur along any area of the brain, optic nerve, and spinal cord.
A very good friend of mine and world famous neurologist firmly believes that every MS patient needs to be on some kind of primary drug. These drugs help to stop cells from further destroying the myelin sheath. They can also significantly help with the Tremors associated with MS. However, there are symptoms that are not addressed by this primary class of drugs. Many Neurologists will place their patients on secondary and tertiary medications to effectively treat all symptoms. However, more holistically based Neurologists will opt for Physical Therapy instead of grouping medications. Although drug makers do numerous studies to find out how certain drugs will interact, there is no study determine how two or three drugs will interact in your own unique body. Why not search for a way to get the results you want without having to be on a long list of medications?
Making MS patients stronger, more balanced, and flexible will help them regain a more normal lifestyle.
Here is a list of treatments that every MS patient will experience when becoming a Physical Therapy Patient.
- Customized Exercise Program – Focuses on Increasing Muscle Mass, Strengthening Communication between Neurons and Muscle, and Decreasing Body Fat
- Balance Exercises – Designed with your deficits in mind and they also take into account what stage you are at in your MS journey.
- Stretching – Your Physical Therapist will manually stretch afflicted areas that are tight. Tight muscles can often become very painful. You will also receive homework to work on stretching programs at home.
- Hands on Massage and Myofascial Release – Several Primary MS Drugs work very well at limiting or stopping tremors all together. However, they can often make the muscles very tight. Massage and Myofascial Release can loosen up those muscles and restore range of motion without having to be on a secondary medication.
- Standing Frame – Marketplace Physical Therapy Chino is one of the few Physical Therapy Offices in the Inland Empire that has a standing frame for Patients with acute cases of MS. It is so inspiring to see a patient who has been sitting for years finally be able to stand up straight. It is literally a new outlook on life.
Whatever the severity of MS you have our PT’s can maximize the potential recovery of your body. You really owe it to yourself to come by for a free consultation and see what one of our Doctors of Physical Therapy can do for you. Please call 951.684.2874 to schedule your free consultation.
You can also view all of our Patient Testimonials by going to http://www.marketplacewellnesscenter.com/patient-testimonials/
Michael Rappaport, CEO