Get Back to Your Life Faster By Participating in Pre-Surgical Rehabilitation
It is completely normal to worry about upcoming surgery. Perhaps you’re wondering how long the recovery period will be or how the surgery itself will go. Your post-surgical recovery will most likely consist of physical therapy treatments. This will help relieve your pain and improve your function. But did you know you can participate in pre-surgical rehabilitation (also known as “pre-hab”), as a way to prepare your body for surgery and make your recovery period easier? To learn more about the many benefits of pre-hab, contact Marketplace Physical Therapy & Wellness Center in Riverside, Corona, Chino, Redlands, and Beaumont, CA today!
What exactly is pre-surgical rehab?
Pre-surgical rehab can improve the overall outcomes of your surgical procedure. Studies show that participating in physical therapy treatments about a month before surgery can significantly expedite your recovery. Pre-surgical rehabilitation also has mental benefits – it is no secret that surgery is scary, but pre-hab can help put your mind at ease by knowing you are doing everything possible for a smooth and successful surgery. Your pre-hab plan will provide you with everything you need to be as physically and mentally prepared as possible for your procedure.
What are the benefits of pre-surgical rehab?
There is a multitude of benefits that pre-surgical rehabilitation provides. The top 6 include:
- Shortened recovery. Pre-hab allows for a much smoother surgical process. Having strong and toned muscles before surgery helps you get back to your regular routine much easier and quicker than you would without.
- Reduced pain. Pre-hab can greatly reduce your pain following surgery. This can be done through a variety of methods, including ice and heat therapy, exercise, or massage.
- Reduced complications. Pre-hab incorporates targeted exercises to help increase your strength and endurance. As a result, this can improve your immunity, meaning that the chance of infection after surgery is much lower.
- Increased stamina. It is no secret that any surgical procedure will result in a loss of strength as your body is recovering. Rehab prior to physical therapy helps increase strength lost before the operation. This makes the recovery process much smoother.
- Improved outcomes. The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) states that pre-hab can improve the overall outcomes of surgery and it can even help in saving money if everything goes smoothly. If your muscles are strengthened prior to surgery, it is more likely that the surgery will be successful and the recovery time will be shorter.
- The possibility of avoiding surgery. Sometimes, pre-hab treatments can even eliminate the need for surgery altogether. While this is not always the case, some patients have actually found that their pre-hab treatments were sufficient enough in reducing their pain that they canceled their upcoming surgery.
If your pre-hab treatments are successful in decreasing your pain and improving your function, you may save yourself from an invasive procedure. If your condition begins to improve considerably after starting your treatments, you’ll want to consult with your physician regarding future treatment options and the possibility of avoiding the unnecessary surgical procedure.
How will pre-surgical rehab affect me?
According to the National Institutes of Health, participating in exercise therapies prior to surgery can exceptionally improve your post-operative outcomes and reduce your recovery time. When you participate in a pre-surgical rehabilitation plan, you will focus on improving your strength before surgery so your body can heal easier and faster. Essentially, it prepares your body for the procedure and sets you up for a successful surgery.
Our Riverside, Corona, Chino, Redlands, and Beaumont, CA physical therapists are trained in helping improve range of motion and movement. They utilize targeted stretches and exercises that can be done both before and after surgery. As previously mentioned, pre-surgical rehabilitation programs also help in mental preparation, encouraging an overall sense of well-being beforehand. In general, pre-hab treatments assist in improving your physical health and promoting overall wellness before your procedure.
Recover faster with Marketplace Physical Therapy & Wellness Center:
At Marketplace Physical Therapy & Wellness Center, we want you to receive all the benefits of pre-surgical rehabilitation. When you arrive for your initial consultation, our physical therapist will discuss the best possible treatment plan for you. When you are as strong, flexible, and healthy as possible, you are able to regain normal function quicker after surgery. Additionally, pre-hab prepares you for the treatment plan you will undergo after surgery, by getting you accustomed to that routine.
If you have an upcoming surgery, contact Marketplace Physical Therapy today. We provide consultations with our licensed physical therapists, to see if Physical Therapy is right for you! Schedule an appointment at our Riverside, Corona, Chino, Redlands, and Beaumont, CA physical therapy clinic today! Do yourself a favor and set yourself up for an easier procedure and recovery period. Our pre-surgical rehabilitation services will help you get back to your life faster!